Thursday, April 9, 2009

I Wanna Fight A Boss

So I just completed Tomb Raider: Underworld, and I couldn't help but notice that you didn't really fight a boss at the end. Sure you go through a series of puzzles to destroy the support beams of Jörmungandr and then throw Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) at the boss in a cutscene thus killing her, but you don't actually fight her. I have also noticed that many games these days have that. For instance, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, you fight the boss in a button pressing cutscene, only to watch him die in another cutscene, as well as Gears of War 2. I wouldn't even consider that a boss battle. You are in a helicopter shooting at an infected Brumak, and in about 2 minutes, he's done, adn then, in a cuscene (surprise surprise!) he blows up. Whatever happened to the games of ol' when you would have to take your time and fill your mortal enemy full of lead and/or steal. Resident Evil 5 and the God of War franchise are good examples. Bot had excellent(allbeit hard) boss battles. And that's the way it should be.

I'm also sick of lead characters in games not being able to speak or say anything, and Nintendo is famous for this. Mario: "Ha-ha" "It'sa me, a-Mario!" "Here we gooooo!"
Link: "Ha!" "Heh" "Eeee-YA!"
Ash (from the games): "..."

What the fuck guys. I can understand for the older games, but don't you think that Link would say at least one sentence in his whole 3 year journey to find the Master Sword? Or that Mario would say "Fuck you Peach, I'm higher than a kite! I am NOT gonna fight a giant lizard while talking to a bunch of mushrooms...woah..." Or that maybe, just maybe, Ash would have the courage to talk outside of battles?

Ok, so Nintendo characters are incapable of speech, I'll live with that. But why can't the manly motherfucker from Viking: Battle for Asgard speak. He's a man. A beefy head chopping peasent raping man. And Overlord from Overlord, he doesn't speak. But I assume that's just because he's so pwerfully lazy that he let's his mionions speak for him. At least Caim from Drakengard has a legitamate reason for not being able to speak. It just annoys me that a company won't put in the effort to make a character more rounded. I find that speech helps alot, although Nintendo has done a good job without it. But what can I do. I'm jsut a lonely, pathetic, blogger addicted to masturbation and cocaine that can't type "just" right unless I slow down and take the time to do it...

So how bout them Mets huh?

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say I think you have a really interesting blog happening here!

    ReplyDelete